The present building was constructed in 1940 and it is located on the grounds where the Casa Real once stood. With Cagayan de Misamis (the old name of Cagayan de Oro) as the capital of the Segundo Distrito de Mindanao, the Casa Real wasthe seat of the Spanish colonial administration with a Spanish military governor at the helm.
On January 10, 1899, Cagayan de Misamis celebrated the new Philippine Republic with a festive parade and cannonades. The center of the two day celebration was the Casa Real where the first elected local officials held office. A historical marker place by the Cagayan de Oro Historical and Cultural Commission was installed in the building a hundred years later. (PHOTO : by Rhoel Condeza)